Commissioner Lawrence Weekly is the first African American to chair the Las Vegas Convention & Visitors’ Authority. He also sits as chairman of the Board of Trustees for University Medical Center Southern Nevada, the Clark County Liquor & Gaming Licensing Board and the Local Law Enforcement Advisory Board that awards nearly $1 million to valley wide programs dedicated to improving the quality of life for families in Clark County.
Additionally, the commissioner is a member of the Family and Juvenile Justice Services Policy and Fiscal Affairs Board, Southern Nevada District Board of Health, Southern Nevada Regional Planning Coalition, and the Springs Preserve Board of Trustees for the Southern Nevada Water Authority.
Commissioner Weekly was appointed to the County Commission in 2007 by former Gov. Kenny Guinn and was re-elected to two additional terms. Prior to becoming a commissioner, Weekly served seven years as the Las Vegas City Councilman for Ward 5.
Commissioner Weekly is a native Nevadan and graduate of Western High School. He attended Grambling State University where he earned a bachelor’s in Communication. He holds a master’s in Public Administration from the University of Nevada, Las Vegas and teaches public policy at UNLV and Nevada State College.
Commissioner Weekly is a strong advocate for foster care, education and business development. He hosts numerous events annually for children in the Clark County Foster Care system. He also is a member of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. and is a founder of the Kappa Alpha Psi Leadership League for aspiring young black men in high school and a founder of Camp Brotherhood which affords inner-city youth an opportunity to attend camp at Mt. Charleston each year at the close of the academic year.
Weekly and his wife, Kim, have two children, Malik and Kenya.
Following is a complete listing of Commissioner Lawrence Weekly’s board and organizational affiliations:
- Las Vegas Convention and Visitor’s Authority
- Las Vegas Valley Water District
- University Medical Center
- Southern Nevada Health District
- Clark County Water Reclamation District
- Clark County Redevelopment Agency
- Liquor & Gaming Licensing
- Southern Nevada Workforce Investment
- Nevada Commission on Aging
- Las Vegas Audit/Oversight Committee
- National League of Cities Community & Economic Development Committee
- Nevada League of Cities – Youth Advisory Council
- Southern Nevada Regional Planning Coalition
- Southern Nevada Gang Task Force
- Local Law Enforcement Advisory Commission
- “Power to End Stroke” committee
- Camp Brotherhood Youth Camp (co-founder)
- Kappa Leadership League (founder of local chapter)
- Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc.
- Southern Nevada Workforce Investment Board
- United States Tennis Association (USTA)
- Southern Nevada Health Board
- Clark County Debt Management Commission
- Advisor – Clark County School District Partnership Program